Sunday, April 05, 2009

Quilted doorstop

I found a tutorial on one of my favorite craft blogs for a nine-patch doorstop. At first I didn't consider making it because it seemed like something I would never use... but then I recalled how for the last 8 months we have been using bags of random junk as a doorstop for our bedroom door, because it swings wide open and we like to keep it open a crack so we can hear the baby. So I decided to make one. I looked at the pattern and instructions and decided I would make my own version, because I didn't feel like following a pattern. So I used scraps from BJ's quilt, and from an old pair of jeans (you can get so much mileage out of a pair of jeans- don't throw old ones away!) and came up with my own pattern based on the one I found. The pattern looks great, with a zipper on the bottom that you can open to let out the filler beans or whatever so you can wash it. I like the idea, but didn't have the right size of zipper, so instead, I made an opening with kind of a flap on the top that buttoned shut, and I put in ziplock bags full of dry beans as filler. I also made the handle longer so it could hang on the doorknob if we wanted, and I tied it (instead of machine quilting it) to make it all matchy-matchy with BJ's quilt. I won't bore you with the rest of the details (although if you are really interested, I will give more detailed info on how I made it) but I had fun making it up. I love making useful things! Here is the link to the original design: http://www.ohfransson.com/oh_fransson/2007/10/my-first-tutori.html




3 comments:

Mustang Suzie said...

Wow Rochelle, you are really creative! I can't believe how many things you've made! This was a very good idea.

nora.lakehurst said...

Rochelle you are creative. I wish I could come up with something like that. I finally made my own skirt. I guess i should blog about that huh. Anyways way to go.

BJ said...

It's a very handy little thing too. Keep it up dear!