Thursday, May 10, 2007

Update

Somehow my computer knows that I am in Argentina! It is displaying some of my websites in Spanish to me... such as this one!
Well, things are going fairly well. I have been here for nearly 2 days, and I can tell that it is going to be an adjustment- in a good way. When I first got here I couldn't understand a word that was said. The people here talk very quickly, and have different accents and dialects in every province. I am starting to understand more and more, and I can always get the gist of the conversation, but certain people are just very difficult to understand. Everyone is very nice though.
There are many things that are different that I never would have guessed- I never knew that there could be a learning curve for grocery shopping, but there is, when many of the foods are different, and they are all written in another language! I couldn't find peanut butter, liquid soap, or paper towels at the store, and milk comes in tiny little boxes. I haven't tried it yet, but I hear it is very different than what we are used to. Also- when people here meet, even complete strangers, but especially among women, the older generations, and friends, it is expected that you "kiss" cheeks. I missed doing this the first time because I had no idea, and couldn't figure out why someone was leaning so close to my face. After I understood what the custom was, it was just fine, and I have been "kissed" on the cheek many times today.
I am living in a youth hostel. It is kind of a fun place with very brightly painted walls- of all colors. My room is purple and orange. We have no carpet or heating. Several rooms (but not mine) open directly onto an outdoor patio, so it gets pretty cold, especially at night. Temperatures aren't too bad though, for winter. It has been in the 50's and 60's I think. Yep- right now, the temperature in my room is 66 degrees. Not too bad.
Today we walked to the hospital and met the director and also took taxis to the community center and talked to the people there. It sounds like they have some other needs besides the comedores that they would like us to work on. So maybe some of us will still work with the children, and others will be working with the elderly in a healthy aging program. There are several students who are doing research projects, and so we will all be participating in those projects, helping gather data and implementing the interventions we might come up with for improving health, especially in the maternity hospital. Speaking of that hospital, I knew it would be a poor hospital, but I didn't realize how much they were lacking. We have brought many sheets, scrubs, blankets, and various other hospital supplies with us. I knew they had no sheets. I didn't know they had no towels. It is a much bigger hospital than I had imagined. They use the things we bring all year, we were told. They appreciate what we bring- it is pretty much all they get from the U.S., I think, because you cannot mail things to them (there is a tax on everything that comes into the country, which they cannot pay, and besides, there is no guarantee that what you send will ever arrive where it is meant to go).
Here is the link to some pictures I posted. Don't judge the photography too much- I took the pictures kind of fast, and they aren't really meant to be artistic, just document the place I live! http://picasaweb.google.com/RochelleCTaylor/YouthHostel?authkey=ELRWjOTTG0w
Well, I think that is enough for now. If you have things you want to know about where I am, email me, or comment, and I will do my best to answer your question. I will tell you more about what I am doing here next week- when I actually start doing stuff at the hospital etc.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Very interesting, Rochelle. You might want to put a note on the family blog so people will know that you did blog. The pictures were great! Hope all is going well. Keep up the updates.

Mom Taylor

Charles said...

I hope BJ doesn't get jealous of all that kissing. I bet he doesn't get kissed as much in India!