Wednesday, May 16, 2007

Community health

On Tuesday I worked in the community (in the comedor- the place they serve meals to children in rural areas who are living in poverty). We visited the comedor, met the kids, and did their heights and weights. The comedor keeps track of this data, and we also use it for research.
With the first group (3 & 4 year olds) we read them a children's book in Spanish, and I did some string magic tricks that were quite the hit. These children were so adorable- some of the most beautiful children I have ever seen. Many of theme were obviously malnourished.
Most of them were very small, and their hair had this orange tint to it that is a result of malnutrition. Once they got over their shyness and the ice was broken, they were ok with talking to us, and one little girl pulled me down and planted a big kiss on my cheek and hugged me for a long time- how could I not love them? So sweet, so innocent, and so hungry! I looked at their menu for each week- often it wasn't much more than a rice dish. The Sanitoria (woman who runs the comedor) said that this is the only real meal that most of the children get that day. Some will be given a piece of bread and tea, or coffee at home, but that's it. No vegetables or fruit. Only a little protein. Not many sources of calcium. It is so heartbreaking!
The second group of children were between about 6-12 years old. We didn't get much of a chance to talk to them, although we did take their heights and weights. They were also cute. And also hungry. One girl told us that she had 9 siblings- most of them with her at the comedor.
This last picture is all of the students in my group with the medical residents that accompanied us to the comedor. It was a rural area, and as you can see, not the most beautiful area of town. The building in the background is the comedor. This is the nicest, most organized comedor in the city. All of the others are much inferior. By the way, the humanitarian missionaries from our church want to help this program by providing better food and funding, but they want to see that the CAPS program (which runs the comedores) is trying to change, to add programs and classes that will help the people. They want them to be self reliant, and to put forth some effort before they commit to funding or providing goods. We are trying to put together some classes which will hopefully be implemented and contribute to the success of the program and the health of the community and the children. We have some teaching projects that each group is in charge of putting together. I will explain that later when I know more.

11 comments:

BJ said...

That's got to be so fun and hard to watch those kids. I can just imagine how much they enjoyed your little string tricks.
I'm glad you got pictures of that... what a wonderful experience for you.

Dad, Quin said...

That kiss will be a memory not soon forgotten. It is amazing how much gratitude someone with so little can show. God bless you Rochelle, do all you can to bring a glimps of joy to those sweet children.

Mustang Suzie said...

You are the perfect person to be there doing what you are doing. I am sure those children see the love in your eyes and feel your spirit. You are truly doing wonderful service for our Heavenly Father. We love both of your blogs--so keep them coming!
Thank you.

Unknown said...

Wow, Rochelle! That must be so amazing to be helping those little children, and like Dad said, bringing a little glimpse of joy into their lives. I wish I could be down there with you! by the way, the pictures were great! It is cool to see action photos of you. ;) keep up your wonderful hard work! Love ya!

Utah Dancer said...

Rochelle,

I love the photos. It sounds like you are having quite the experience. I really was touched by the care you gave to the woman having the baby. Things are so different, I can't imagine being pushed on by the doctor to deliver!!!

I wonder too how difficult it must be to see these hungry children. How sweet to be part of helping these families to live a better life.

We miss you!!! Take care!!

Candice

Anonymous said...

It's hard enough for me to see images like that on TV. I can't imagine looking into the eyes of those hungry little children in person. You have such a sweet spirit, Roshelle, and especially when you are around children...you simply glow. I'm sure they feel that love from you. Keep up the great work.

Also, yikes! Pushing on her stomach? Can I just say that I'm glad I've delivered my babies here in America?

Love you Roshelle! Miss you tons! Dani

Unknown said...

Thank you for sharing your amazing expereinces with us. You bless our lives as well as those children and mothers you are working with. I'm quite sure you will never forget these people you are meeting, particularly some of those children. And it will be a memory filled with all kinds of emotions. What you are experiencing is very Christ-like. You are feeling what He feels for all of us; a deep love and and desire to help. We are all anxious to read the next installment. It's like reading a really good book, but we have to wait for the next chapter to be written. I am still interested in using some of your photos and your writings on our website if we can work it out.
Love you much.
Dad Taylor

Anonymous said...

RoChelle-

I owe you an apology!! It has been brought to my attention that I have been spelling your name wrong! My only excuse is that I frequently email a girl named Shelley (my Primary Pres. in my ward) and my fingers just automatically go there when I type! If you were to ask me, I really would get it right! You guys should have told me I was being an idiot! :-) Love you! Dani

rochelle said...

No worries, Dani. I get people spelling my name many different ways- as long as you say it right without making it sound like an insect (think "roach"), I'm happy!

Anonymous said...

Do I do that too??? I hope not!!

rochelle said...

No, don't worry- you don't do that! It has been a long time since anyone did that, and it was on purpose!