Saturday, May 26, 2007

Tafi del Valle, NICU and Community clinical

Last weekend we took a bus up to Taffi del Valle and went on a 6 hour horseback trip! It was fun. We didn't all know what we were getting ourselves into... instead of being a leisurely ride on some flat trail, we climbed up and down a mountain on the horses. The ride up was frightening for me... my horse wouldn't obey my reigning very well (it was just normal- neck reigning) and it had sort of a mean temperament (kept trying to kick or bite other horses). However, I made it! We got to the top of the mountain and we had an authentic Argentine asado (barbeque) grilled over an open fire. It was great food. The steak here is legendary, probably the best steak I have had, and I have had some pretty good steak! On the way back down the mountain, we took a path that was a little less treacherous, and I actually traded someone horses. My new horse actually followed my commands and did what I wanted it to do! Yay! It was a lot more fun on the way down. I like riding horses. We were all sore for several days!
As for my clinical experiences, I had a similar experience in the Newborn ICU this week as my experience in postpartum last week. The first day wasn't great in terms of being involved, learning new things, or observation opportunities. However, on the second day, we went in and things went much more smoothly, probably because we were more comfortable, we had seen how things went in that unit the day before, and we were more proactive about asking doctors and nurses what was going on. We were able to see many very interesting things and learn some new things. It was sad to see babies in the NICU who were not visited by their parents and had little affection given to them. There was a marked difference between two babies we saw with the same condition, but with very different developmental stages. My partner held one of the babies whose family never came, and she sang songs to him for a long time. It was amazing to be able to see that baby relax and look more peaceful. The baby had been there for a few months. I didn't dare get very close to the babies who were not inside incubators since I am trying to recover from a cold, and was worried that I might pass it on if I got too close. The time went by very quickly. Labor and Delivery this week was good too. I went with another clinical group to community this week. We went to the poorest comedor. It was basically just four posts with a roof overhead. The meals at this comedor were cooked over an open fire pit- very primitive circumstances. They couldn't store much there because it would all get stolen. We taught our dental hygiene class and the family planning class (which all the moms were really excited about!) and then we measured and weighed the children, did a hemoglobin test, and did a 24 hour dietary recall with as many as we could. We gave them toothbrushes, toothpaste, and shampoo to take home with them. I couldn't believe how willing all these young children were to get in line, get measured, get their finger pricked, and be interviewed about what they ate that day- just so they could get their toothbrush, shampoo, and sticker. Amazing. Hardly any children cried. Even the little ones stood in line and held out their finger to be pricked, and get a band-aid. They were so cute.
Last night we went to see "Piratas del Caribe" downtown in a nicer theater (comparatively). Don't worry, it was in English, with Spanish subtitles. We had the intermission experience also, only this time, we were left hanging by a thread! I saw tons of children begging for money, and today we saw some children trying to sell lottery tickets. It is so sad to me, and I wish I could give them all money. There are plenty of people who have enough money, but there is poverty here unlike the poverty we have in the U.S. I am so grateful for the things I have, and for the things that are so easy to take for granted. I think that if there is only one thing I take home with me, it will be an increased gratitude for the opportunities I have had as a result of being born in the U.S., and as a member of the church.

10 comments:

Mustang Suzie said...

You are having incredible experiences! I'm glad you got to do some fun things too like the horseback riding and seeing "Pirates." Ron and I actually saw it today. I remember once when we were in Mexico all the little kids begging for money. It made me so sad I had a hard time enjoying that trip. We are so very blessed to live where we do and have what we have. Hopefully, the Gospel can come to these people and help them to have a better way of life. You're doing great, Rochelle. Thank you again for sharing.

BJ said...

I'm jealous! I want to go horse back riding! :-/ I'll have to see if I can catch an elephant to work tomorrow... or maybe a camel.
;-)

Charles said...

I don't want to go horseback riding. I'm afraid of putting myself on the back of an animal which is so much bigger, stronger, and more stupid than I am. I'm afraid it'll run off of a cliff.

But I AM jealous of some of your other experiences. Russia sounds similar in poverty. It is sad.

Anonymous said...

your accounts are fun to read and i really love the photos!!!

Anonymous said...

The photos are great! I also love to hear about all you are doing out there. Is time going by fast for you? It is for me! You guys will be home before we know it! Miss you!

Anonymous said...

It is almost incomprehensable how blessed we are to be born under the covenant, in the safest, richest, most free nation the world has ever produced, with opportunities and choices hardly anyone else has ever enjoyed. Thanks for reminding us how bless we are. I hope our prayers reflect that understanding.
The only real answer to these problems, worldwide, is the gospel. Only when the world comes to know and love the Lord will poverty as you are seeing come to an end. In the meantime, we just have to do what we can to help them in the most effective way possible. What you are doing is part of the kinds of things we can do to teach them how to rise up out of the generational poverty that keeps them bound. We admire what you are doing and send you our love and prayers as you continue to serve these people.
By the way, do I hear a cowgirl arising here, or were you always a cowgirl and just never let me know. :-)
Love you much,
Dad Ron

Dad, Quin said...

I think when Rochelle gets on a horse and head up the trail she is in her element. Though she may seem an intelectual, booky kind of girl, I think her true joy comes from nature, just as it does for her mother and I.
You can't imagine, Rochelle how much I wish I could have been there with you.
These pictures are a great treasure but the memories of the lives you touch and those that touch you will be your most priceless posessions. It all about how we interact with other people. It is amazing what happens when charity governs our thoughts and actions.
I love you sweetheart. Thanks for sharing your thoughts and experiences with us - they are so rich and meaningful to me.

Utah Dancer said...

Your experiences simply intesify my desire to get out there and help!

On another note-I am glad you traded horses. I have been on a horse that wouldn't listen and I can't imagine climbing a mountain on one!

Thanks for sharing your stories and pictures!

Anonymous said...

I've been a little blogger challenged, but I think I may have got the comment thing worked out....
Rochelle-I'm glad you posted pictures and documented your horseback riding adventure, as you didn't mention it during 2 phone conversations last weekend--unless of course it was a soliloquy during one of those dropped call moments!!!! I know you have a lot on your mind though!
What a treasured experience you are having. It's treasured not only for you, but for all of us who love you. Thank you for sharing it with us. I know you are being blessed and protected, and I am so grateful!
Love-MOM

Anonymous said...

Wow Rochelle! You are amazing! i don't think i'd be able to handle the sadness of it all down there. All the poverty would probably make me cry. I am so proud of ou though! you are having such an amazing experience and helping so many people whether they realize it or not! you are amazing! i miss you tons!