Wednesday, May 02, 2007

Let's Talk!

So as you may have noticed... Rochelle and I are getting ready to take off here in a few days. Rochelle leaves on Monday... and I leave on Tuesday. I get back on June 19th, Rochelle on the 20th. My travel itinerary was scheduled to match up with hers. So, now that we are going to be scattered across the face of the earth, how do we keep from loosing contact with each other? Well, we are going to do be using a couple of voice chat programs.

Google Talk: http://www.google.com/talk/
Skype: http://www.skype.com/download/

The two programs are pretty similar in functionality. They both allow you to chat over the internet for free (you just need a headset with a mic, or speakers and a separate mic, although the headset is preferred). Although both Rochelle and I have both programs installed, we kinda favor talk over skype, even though we tried this first on skype (it's the one that I use at work to talk with my boss). Google Talk seems to be a little easier to set up and configure, and well... I'm a google fan. Anyways, you don't need a gmail account for Google Talk, but you do need a "Google" account, and it will help you set one up if that's the one you prefer. Skype also needs an account. Just please don't pay skype any money. You don't need to (although I'm sure they wouldn't mind it), all the features you need are free. They just want you to buy extra features. I should say also, that skype allows you to see our pretty faces on the webcam, although we will not be able to see yours if you do not have one. If you look to the right, you will see a series of world clocks. And just above that, a link that shows a time chart for the 4 different time zones. Rochelle and I haven't figured out when we are going to be able to talk to each other yet. We don't know what our schedules will be like yet. But when we do, we will let you all know, and try to say 'hi' as often as we are able. We are also going to try to keep the blog updated. Ron and Sue have a headset and are set up, and so does Quin and Cindy, and so we will be able to talk with them as time allows. But because we aren't calling on the traditional telephone, if the computer is off, there is no way for us to get a hold of you. At that point, we can only blog and email. I'm sure I'll be at work a lot, and so you might be able to get a hold of me fairly easily at certain times. Rochelle doesn't know when she will be available yet. My skype account is beeg_98, by google account is taylors2004, Rochelle's skype is rochellerct, and her google account is rochellectaylor. We will welcome your calls!
Love you all!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

We will sure miss you both. I hope it proves to be an amazing experience! Love you!