Tuesday, May 15, 2007

A colorful day

So, I sent to a wedding yesterday. It was pretty cool. Definitely different from anything I had ever experience before. It was a Muslim wedding, and I understand that each religion has different traditions in weddings. The groom is a programmer who works here. He hasn't been here recently due to the wedding, so the wedding was the first time that I was able to meet him. He seemed to be a good guy. He looked pretty happy too. The bride I know nothing about, except that it was an arranged marriage, which most likely means that she was from the same religion, and caste. As you can see, she didn't look as happy. But, I'm not sure whether or not she was. I asked somebody about that, and he said that it is tradition for the wife to act that way. She is not to make eye contact with anyone, and to remain solemn. After greeting the groom, we went and sat down to a table, and waiters brought food to our tables. That was interesting for sure. One very large plate in the middle was filled with rice and curry (a special curry for the occasion, I understand) and then we dug in. With our hands. I'm not joking. People here eat with their hands. And the funny thing is, I never thought eating with your hands was difficult. But you trying eating rice and curry with your hands. It's not easy! Especially when you can move the plate that it is served on. Thankfully, I only had to eat with my hands for a little while, before the waiter brought me a spoon (which had been requested by my friends without my knowing). I felt sheepish, but I was glad for it. Oh, and here's the other thing... no napkins. Eating here is not the most clean or sanitary affair. And it's not like people wash their hands before eating either. Very different. Well... I'm afraid that's all I have to say for the day... but enjoy the pictures. I love you all.

The Rest of the Pictures

8 comments:

BJ said...

By the way... I didn't notice this until after, and I wish I had take a better photo of it, but look at the brides hands. I've been told that that is something all brides in India do. It is not a tattoo... It comes off, but it is done for special occasions.

rochelle said...

Yikes... I could not do that! I carry a bottle of hand sanitizer with me everywhere here in Argentina! Also, you mentioned this to me, but others may not know... the sheet in the last picture is supposed to divide the men and women. whether or not that is followed... I don't know.

rochelle said...

Is it like a henna design thing?

Mustang Suzie said...

Oh my gosh, how interesting and different! What a lucky guy you are to see all this. Good thing I gave you a couple of small bottles of hand sanitizer!! Thanks again for the wonderful photos.
mom

Anonymous said...

what a fun experience! great color, too...
wow- i wouldn't care for the traditions of that bride. arranged marriage- don't look at anyone and keep your feelings to yourself! OUCH!

also, interesting eating... and look! they use the same cheesy white chairs as we do here!

Anonymous said...

bj- btw...i've had the hand design done on me...! it was a gift given to me for teaching. it was a gift certificate tp an indian market/salon and they did not do the traditional wedding designs, but they did cover my hands in the design i chose. they market it here for the curious, i guess, but keep their religious tradition, sacred. i go to a similar place to get my eye brows done! (threading)

Anonymous said...

Very cool. I wonder if the henna parties are a Middle Eastern/Asian thing, because they do them in Turkey with the brides as well. Or maybe it's a Moslem thing? That would make sense... Moslem weddings in India... Moslem weddings in Turkey. K. I'm dumb. But it is very cool! Did they do a thing where they hang gold pieces all over the bride? Don't know if that's religion or country-specific, but it's supposed to symbolise a plethora of posterity. :) And in Turkey, the gold pieces and the jewelry a bride is wearing are effectively her dowry (cash in a form that will never lose its value! LOL). Don't know if that's religion or country-specific either.

Anonymous said...

Wow, it's beautiful! I definitely prefer being able to choose my own husband though! And I liked being able to smile at my wedding too! Love you Beej!! Dani