Tuesday, July 14, 2009

This Week=

A busy week. Has been and will be.
Not that I mind terribly, it is just going to take some planning.
BJ and I work as usual, he full time, me part time (currently I am working 3 half- days each week for a grand total of 12 hours). Add in the usual stuff- taking care of Gabe, running errands, going visiting teaching, FHE with a couple in the ward, yoga class, seeing family, work inservice, doing laundry, chores, etc. Now add in the wedding of a close friend, with the reception and luncheon, BJ helping to plan the bachelor party, and having taken bridal pictures (a few days ago). That stuff is all pretty fun, pretty exciting, but it's not all. Later this week we are taking Gabe in to have a head CT scan. That's the part I'm not super excited for. I have been told the pediatric sedation team is supposed to take part, but I can't imagine that he would need more than a mild sedative to help him hold still. Still, a CT scan is a series of several X-ray images that give a cross- sectional view of whatever it is that needs to be examined. In Gabriel's case, his head. The concern is that there is a ridge on top of his skull that has become a bit larger. The top of his head should feel smooth, but there is a definite ridge. You can't see it because his hair covers it, but it is obvious when you feel it. It may be caused by the sutures (which allowed his skull to mold when he was born) closing prematurely- called craniosynostosis. Our thought (as well as the pediatrician's) is that while this is not normal, it is pretty mild as of yet. The purpose of the CT scan will be to determine if it is really craniosynostosis, and if any action needs to be taken. We are optimistic that everything will turn out all right. All the same, thinking about it is giving me a little bit of anxiety! Anyway, we will post an update on that when we have more information. Until then, we are just keeping on as usual, and maybe it's a good thing this week is so busy- maybe it will keep us from worrying too much.

6 comments:

Mustang Suzie said...

He is in my prayers every day. When exactly is he having the tests? We love all three of you so much!

Tonia said...

We wish you the best and hope it turns out okay!

Ashley said...

Oh, Rochelle, we know how it is to have your baby boy go through sedations and scans! Let me know if we can do anything for you! I hope everything will turn out just fine. That does sound like a busy week. I envy you your yoga class...I haven't been in over a year. I just can't find the time. Good luck with everything.

rhondas view said...

of course you have anxiety! sheesh- nothing like your child's health and happiness being in potential jeapordy to bring it up a notch...or more.
i think it's great that you have so much to do. at least in my case, the busier i am (and they appear to all be good things) the less time i have to nuture my worries.
hugs to all and keep us informed! we love you!
p.s. i'm going tye-dye t-shirt buying and would love to know that rascal Gabe's size... :)
p.p.s. already miss being around you. thank you so much for the time you gave me!

Utah Dancer said...

Hey Rochelle and Beej,

Busy is good! I can't wait to see BJ's photos--he is getting so good!

I am glad to hear that Gabe is getting the tests he needs to see what is up, if anything. I say busy is good because it will kind of put your anxiety to good use. Ditto on what Rhonda said, of course you are anxious.

In our experience, kids are tough. And certainly, he won't remember getting the tests done. I look at Manda, and she remembers nothing.

We love you guys! As with everyone else, we will think of you, pray for Gabe, and please keep us informed!

Dani said...

The comments left here say exactly what I want to say. I would also add that as hard as it is to have to see him have the scan, at least you will have answers soon. The unknown is the hardest for me. I do better when I know what problem I am dealing with than trying to deal with the unknown, if's or maybe's. Good luck with it all, and Gabe will certainly be in our prayers!

Also, tell BJ to post those Bridals. I want to see! I hear they are beautiful!