Thursday, July 09, 2009

The promised photos


I thought we had pictures of Gabe eating some cake, but I guess we only took video of that. Enjoy the other pictures though.


In some ways the cake turned out better than I expected, and in some ways it was a big disappointment for me. The fondant worked great (however two days later, my arms are still sore from kneading it- it was a beast) and I like how it looked on the cake. The frosting design even turned out pretty well except for the space in the middle of the O that I forgot to color. :( The problem was applying it to the cake. I put the frosting in the freezer for a couple of hours and then tried to apply it to the cake and pull off the wax paper, but I didn't realize I needed to hurry and take it off while it was still frozen. Thus, I ended up having to choose between leaving the wax paper on and letting people take it off their own cake slices, or ripping it off and leaving an unappetizing mess of black and red goo. I chose to leave the paper on. The following day, I tried pulling off the paper again, and realized that the frosting had dried somewhat, and the wax paper came off easily without destroying the design. So if you ever decide to do this, consider doing it a day in advance. The fondant keeps the cake inside moist, so no worries about it drying out.
Here are the links I used to make the cake:
The frosting image: http://www.ehow.com/how_4596120_edible-cake-images.html
The fondant: http://whatscookingamerica.net/PegW/Fondant.htm -I found this link to be very informative and helpful.
The Wilton buttercream frosting recipe and instructions: http://www.wilton.com/recipe/Buttercream-Icing

6 comments:

Catherine said...

Wax paper mishap aside, I think your cake looked great! It's always hard making something new for the first time. But you are really inspiring me with the fondant! I have been wanting to try making it, but I'm a little intimidated. It seems like it would be so difficult. But now that you've attempted it, maybe I will have to give it a shot! I've been wanting to take cake/cookie decorating classes at Michael's or JoAnns.
And that picture of Gabe scared/crying is priceless, I love it! He is adorable.

Mustang Suzie said...

Your cake story is so funny! I thought the cake was beautiful. I just felt bad for you that you forgot to take a photo before you cut it up! Now you know everything to do for next time :-).

And I love the pix of Gabe as always such a cutie with those big blue eyes!

Ashley said...

Wow, you are more ambitious than me! I think it turned out great!

Cindymom said...

What a fun Mama! Kids give us so many fun reasons to try new things. I enjoyed talking to you on the phone while you were working on the cake, and then being able to see the pictures and read your commentary. What a precious little one year old. What a sweetheart.

Utah Dancer said...

Congrats on a great cake! I have used fondant, but have never made it myself--how clever you are! Cute photos of a cute one year old boy!

Dani said...

I'm so glad that he had a fun day! Hard to believe that he's a year old! We have a gift for him that Tanner picked out. The trick will be seeing if Tanner can stand to give it away! :-) Anyway, we sure love your cute little Gabe!