Sunday, June 14, 2009

Interesting Medical Study

I read an interesting article that I think pertains to any woman who may ever get pregnant in the future. A one (okay, two) sentence synopsis: We already know that taking 400-800 micrograms of folate before and during the first few weeks of pregnancy is instrumental in preventing neural tube defects in developing embryos. This observational analysis study shows a correlation between supplementing with folic acid for at least 1 year prior to conception and a 50-70% reduction in premature delivery rates.
Bottom Line: If you are planning on trying to get pregnant in the next year or two, start now with folic acid supplementation, and the chances of neural tube defect and preterm delivery will be significantly reduced.

-Bukowski, et al.

Read the full article here or a synopsis here.

4 comments:

BJ said...

That's really cool Rochelle. Things like that are always important to know.

Mustang Suzie said...

Some good information for those contemplating pregnancy. It's amazing to me how much they are learning to help people.

Yo... said...

Well, I guess my kids will be perfectly healthy and all full-term, since the multivitamins I take and will continue to take give me 100% RDA of folic acid nearly every day (well, the low end - the 400) and I won't be getting married or having kids for years!! lol
Heidi

Catherine said...

Thanks for sharing! I've been taking prenatal vitamins for a few years, off and on. I keep finding more and more reasons to take B vitamins (aren't they wonderful?), although I need to make sure I'm eating it in food form, in addition to vitamin supplements! :)