Thursday, November 02, 2006

Well, I can't believe that it is Thursday already! This week has just zoomed on by. On Sunday, we woke up early, not remembering daylight savings, and then had an "extra" hour before church. BJ had some fun with his camera, and he took some pictures of us with his remote. Here is one of them:
On Sunday night, BJ, Marissa, and I went up to visit Darla, Doug, and their family (Darla is our cousin) and to have dinner with them. We really enjoyed visiting and playing games with all of them.
BJ and I started running/ working out at the rec center this week (Monday is the first time we have gone together). We are going to be going early in the morning before work/ class. I am hoping to run a half marathon this spring with Marissa and several of my friends from nursing classes, so it's time to get exercising! BJ has also been going there a few times a week to play raquetball with various different people, co-workers and friends.
On Tuesday, we were lucky enough to hear from President Hinckley at our devotional! We had a hard time getting seats, and by the time devotional started, there was hardly a free seat left, even in the bleachers behind the stand. President Hinckley's appearance wasn't really announced way ahead of time, for security purposes, I assume, but enough people found out--it was completely packed. His address was a series of vignettes and short stories/ experiences that he told us had shaped his life and made him into the person he is now. Some of the stories were very somber, and some were lighthearted. He encouraged us to write down things that make impressions upon us, help us to grow, etc. and to read over those things often. I enjoyed everything he said, and was especially impressed with two things. First, the Spirit that accompanies our prophet. As he entered the room, a feeling of reverence and love filled the room so strongly! Even with nearly 23,000 people in the room, you could practically hear President Hinckley's footsteps as he walked in. This spirit remained in the room for the whole devotional. Second, I was impressed with President Hinckley's ablility to connect and communicate with his audience. Not only were his comments very poignant, but I think most people felt that his comments were applicable to them. We were all hanging on every word. As he finished speaking, I found myself wishing that it wouldn't end! The devotional finished, and as he left, he turned and waved in all directions to the students. It was a very sweet moment. Everybody quietly and with the utmost respect, waved back! I felt so blessed to have been in the presence of a latter- day prophet. My outlook was changed, and I felt uplifted, able to bear the many hours of work and school ahead of me that day.
I only worked 10 hours instead of 12 hours today in clinical... we have been getting out early because we have more clinical hours than all the groups at other hospitals (since we have little driving time). During the next two weeks I will be in the OR watching surgeries. I really have little idea of what to expect. It should be exciting though.
There's not too much else to report... BJ and I are both reading a book that most of you have probably already read, and which has been very highly recommended to us- Eragon. I haven't gotten that far into it, but I am impressed with the creativity and rich descriptions this very young author uses! I wish I had more time to read, but alas! There is reading, and midterms, and research papers, and case studies- all waiting to be done... Well, such is life!

2 comments:

BJ said...

She says she has no time to read and yet somehow she has read twice as much as I have. ;-)

Anonymous said...

Rochelle, I know what you mean about President Hinckley. I find it truly amazing also and love to be in his presence. Good luck with all you have to do. You make me feel Lazy!
Mom Taylor