Sunday, November 19, 2006

Thanks Giving

As I look at my life, I can think of absolutely nothing to complain about. I am indeed grateful for everything that has happened, including many things I wasn't so grateful for at the time. I could make a list of things that I am thankful for, but there are too many things that need more description, and no possible way that I could ever make a list long enough to include everything that I should include. And so I will do this as if you were sitting here talking with me.

First and foremost, I am grateful for a Heavenly Father who loves me. In my challenges, in my triumphs, He was there with me. And I don't mean to say from a distance, but He was there beside me, standing with me to hold me when I needed strength, and to cheer me when I had done well. He has never been far. Though I look forward to the day where I can see Him face to face, I can never see Him more clearly than when I look back at my life, and see all that He has done.

I know also that my Savior lives. He too has been a constant presence in my life. His triumph over sin and death has brought my life hope and joy. His mercy towards me and my mistakes gives me the encouragement I need to continue. His love fills me when I reach for Him.

I must say too that I have the most wonderful wife. I don't mean to brag, but she gives me every reason to. Loving her has taught me what love truly is. I know without her I would not be the person I am today. I am indeed grateful for her and her love for me.

I am grateful for a wonderful family. I have never felt closer to my siblings and my parents than I do now. I think you are all wonderful. I look up to each of you, and learn from all of you. I love you and am proud of all of you. I must say also that I love Rochelle's family too. I have heard horror stories about the "in-laws" and I can't even imagine what that would be like. Whenever people make jokes about staying away from "the wife's family" I don't even know how to respond, because I can't even comprehend how it would be to have those struggles. I think you all are the greatest, and I love you all as my own family. (I'm just glad that I get to be the "big brother" in this one!) ;-)

I am grateful for my job. Ever since I have been home from my mission, Heavenly Father has heard my prayers in regards to my job. I have always had employment, and He has always led me to the jobs that I could learn the most from and that worked the best for me and my skills. I feel a great responsibility towards my jobs too. I feel very strongly that I have received the jobs that I have received in order to care for Rochelle. This is one of those things where I can look back in my life and clearly see Heavenly Father's hand in my life. I got a job as a tester at Waterford quite a while ago. That job didn't require much out of my resume, but gave me much to put on it. It was the basis off of which I have received all of my jobs since. My job at Novell paid me quite well for a student, and gave me the flexible hours I needed to work and go to school. It also gave me much experience and training. I was called in for an interview for my Novell job just a week or two after I met Rochelle. To celebrate my new job, Mom and Dad took me out to dinner, and we sat at the same table as Rochelle (not to mention her then boyfriend Evan). And when I graduated, I received a great job at Property Solutions where I have ample room to grow, and have received much training, as well as great additions to my resume. They hired me on as a salaried employee just in time to pay for Rochelle's tuition this Fall. I can see quite clearly my purpose in working is not to buy myself toys or to build my own ego, but to take care of my family.

I am also grateful for prayer and the scriptures. I know my prayers are heard. I have no doubt about that. And when I read the scriptures, and can feel the Holy Ghost in my life. My daily scripture study gives me strength to do whatever is required of me. It gives me hope, and an optimistic view on life. It keeps life in focus.

I would be foolish to forget one last thing... during my lifetime, I have had some of the best friends one could ever hope for. I could always go to them for council when I needed to make a choice, I have always found great comfort in them when I was struggling, and I have always had some great laughs with them about some of the foolish things that have done. Many of my friends are family to me.

Ok. I have said enough. For those of you who actually get through this list of things, I'm grateful for you too! Have a wonderful Thanks Giving Day (and don't forget... You're Welcomegiving day is Friday too!) ;-)
Love ya!
BJ

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

great list! i think i had better update mine today...!

Anonymous said...

You and Rochelle's thankful lists are just wonderful. You are both doing so well and Dad and I are very pleased and proud of you! Love, Mom

Utah Dancer said...

You have learned a bunch haven't you? Your list is amazing as are you. We love you, Beej!!!! Candice