Tuesday, August 04, 2009

Baby Alert!

Someone should invent some sort of alarm that goes off when your child is about to get into something they shouldn't. I would buy one.
Gabe is only a year old, but he's at the stage where he is very curious, fairly mobile, and loves to put things in his mouth. Dangerous combination! It means that he needs fairly constant supervision. I am learning not to be lulled into a false sense of security when Gabe is quiet. A few times today I have looked up or around the corner after noticing that Gabe was being quieter than usual, only to find him getting into something he shouldn't. He knows it too, because he jumps when he sees me and puts the thing (whatever it is) down. Usually the "thing" I find is a piece of lint, carpet, kleenex (or what's left of it) or nasty old piece of food or dirt. How does he even find that stuff? Sometimes, though, I find him getting into my purse (why did I leave it on the floor again?), trying to chew on the power cord to BJ's computer or the vertical blinds on our sliding glass door, or reaching into the bathroom garbage. Why do these things hold such attraction to babies? I understand that they are curious and trying to learn about the world around them. I don't want to stifle that. Yet I want to keep Gabe safe and not let him get into things that are going to hurt him or make him sick.
Going outside is a whole different ballgame. Most kids love to be outside, but there isn't much out there that I am thrilled to see him put in his mouth. I've seen parents go to both extremes on this; some almost wont put their kids (babies/ toddlers) down when they go outside, others let their kids pick up, play with, and taste anything that isn't poop or poison.
My questions for you all are:
1. What are the strangest, funniest, icky-est things that your kids, siblings, nieces/ nephews etc. have tried to eat?
2. Did those kids eventually learn on their own not to put nasty things in their mouths, or did it take constant vigilance on the parent's part for the first several years of their lives?
3. Should babies be allowed to pick up, play with, and lick/chew anything that doesn't pose a threat to their safety, whether inside or outside?
Feel free to answer one or all of the questions!
Thanks in advance!

10 comments:

nora.lakehurst said...

1. My kids have eaten anything. One time I found Ethan at the time was 1 1/2 feeding Logan 6 mo. some POOP yes POOP. Ugh ick. My youngest son has eaten dog food, garbage and other fun things that shouldnt be even touched a second time as woman hygiene things.

2. NO they will never EVER learn. My daughter has but the boys... yeah dont expect them to till they are good and old and cant walk. :D

3. I dont mind as long as it wont kill them. I found out that POOP doesnt kill them. I called the poison control and they laughed and said "Nope it will just upset their tummies but they will be just fine. Just you know watch them and if they are sick more then a day or so then take them to your regular dr." I dont think I will ever be normal again.

alise said...

Kiera is 2 and she will still eat chalk, crayons and sand. Gross! Luckily those are all "non-toxic". I'm usually pro exploring but we have still made the switch to colored pencils at our house:)

Yo... said...

My mom pretty much let us experiment (and experience) most textures and tastes. :) Even mud and things. And my niece, well, she's eaten bugs and things like that but it hasn't seemed to kill her yet. She's pretty good about not eating stuff she shouldn't anymore, but I've found her with a magnet in her mouth recently. I think she thought it was candy. She's good at spitting things out and then wagging a finger at herself and saying, "No!" though. haha.
Heidi

Catherine said...

I say let him explore, as long as it isn't too dangerous, like knives, poison, etc. Of course, I don't have kids yet, so feel free to remind me of this when I have the same questions in a few years :)
Here's a semi-related story. Remember Sunny, my dog? When my nephew Jeffrey was about 2 years old, we found him licking Sunny's tongue. I think he was trying to imitate him, but they ended up licking each other's tongue! We were all sooo grossed out, but of course we took a picture to later embarrass him!

Tammy said...

I catch Maddie eating things she's not supposed to ALL the time.. And she's quick and good at hiding things in her huge cheeks :) that I usually don't get to stop her. Luckily so far, I haven't caught her eating anything too gross. I have caught her eating paper, toilet paper, garbage out of the trash can, sand, dirt, leaves, crayons, and leftover food that she has thrown onto the floor during meals. I try to let her explore, but at the same time I feel like I have to watch her closely when I'm outside. Inside I usually don't worry about her too much, cause I know what I have in my house...well for the most part...

Ashley said...

Oh, this makes me nervous and kind of grossed out! Kimball hasn't developed his pincer grasp yet, so it's difficult for him to eat small objects. But he does crawl everywhere and pull up on tables, walls, garbage cans (yes, what is it with the garbage cans?), and it seems that anything that is not a toy is the most exciting thing to him. I think I will try to let him explore within reason, but he is SO fearless, that I think I will have to keep a close eye out for the extra germy-icky things.

Pricilla said...

I find that they do just grow out of it one day. At least to a point where they don't put EVERYTHING in their mouth. For us it is usually by 18 months, but we did have one that was a lot longer. As for the grossest thing, please search my blog for the snail post, ewe!

Pricilla said...

I find that they do just grow out of it one day. At least to a point where they don't put EVERYTHING in their mouth. For us it is usually by 18 months, but we did have one that was a lot longer. As for the grossest thing, please search my blog for the snail post, ewe!

Mustang Suzie said...

Too funny! I enjoyed reading all of these comments too. I just remember that no matter how hard you try and how vigilant you are, they still seem to get into things you don't want them to. I'd say you just need to have a good balance so they don't feel too restricted. I used to put some things in weird places that were okay things to chew on just so they would find them and "think" they were getting something I didn't know about. But then, there was the electrical outlet, the bricks that got chewed on and other things that happened in spite of how careful I was.

Dani said...

My mom is right. No matter how hard you try, kids just get into things they shouldn't. I am definitely one of those mom's that can't stand seeing my kids put stuff in their mouths that they shouldn't. It instantly gives me the gag reflex! :-) So, I let them explore, but I stop them short of it going into their mouths. I think my kids have learned pretty early on to not put everything in their mouths because of it. I say... to each their own! Do what suits you!