Sunday, March 09, 2008

I finished it...

So here are my thoughts as I have just completed my first half marathon:
  • Ouch! Ouch! Ouch!
  • How do people ever run twice this amount!
  • This gives me a little more appreciation for the title "Marathon of Faith" and "Endure to the End"
  • It takes a lot more to get ready for a run of this magnitude than I thought. (I thought I might be able to get away with only running once a week.)
So... I did finish the half-marathon, but by no means am I extraordinarily proud of how I did. But all the same, I'm glad I did it, and I'm glad that I had it in me to finish it, even if I spent some time walking instead of running. Next time, maybe I'll be able to run the whole thing. We'll see. But I did learns some things. Pain makes you appreciate your life (especially just after it leaves). Struggles encourage you to call upon God. And no matter how bad I have it, there is always somebody who has it worse.

I am grateful for all the blessings that I have. I am grateful that I am healthy. I am grateful for those who supported me, and ran with me. I am thankful for a Heavenly Father who loves us. And I am grateful just to be here. Life is so full of blessings. Occasionally, something just opens our eyes a little to help us see that-- I am grateful for those things, painful as they might be, they give us joy in the end.

4 comments:

Mustang Suzie said...

Congratulations on your successful venture! I'd like to think that I still have it in me to do something like that. You and Rochelle have inspired me. Now I need to get going :-). Good job, BJ.
Mom

Anonymous said...

Oh Beej... when I used to run and train for up to two hours a day just to prepare for 2 or 3 mile races in high school? :-D Once a week for a 13 mile race, well... I'm very glad you finished without doing yourself too serious of an injury!

Dani said...

Way to go!! You did it!! There is no shame in walking a little. You stuck with it, and you should be proud! I echo your thoughts on having something open our eyes to appreciate blessings. It's so true! I'm counting my blessings right now too!!

Dad, Quin said...

Thanks for getting us there BJ. The whole trip was a blast.