Monday, August 13, 2007

Starry Starry Night

So, Dad and I tried to take pictures of the meteor shower last night while Rochelle stayed wrapped up in a blanket in my parent's convertible, watching the stars go by. While we were out there Rochelle saw two shooting starts, my dad saw one, and I saw none. It was fun though. It has been something I have long wanted to do-- to take pictures of the night sky. Now I have done it! ;-) I still need to take pictures of the moon sometime too. That will be its own challenge. I haven't seen my dad's pictures yet. I don't know if he caught any falling stars, but I caught two. I didn't see a one, buy my pictures caught two. Well, one and a half really. And they were both quite small. Also an airplane or two are in there. You can tell the airplanes because they have little dots evenly spaced along the line they draw through the picture. So here are my pictures, and in them are my one and a half shooting stars. See if you can find them. (You may need to download them to get a very good view of them.) And for all of you photographers out there, I used the following settings on these photos: ISO 200, F4, 30".

Starry Starry Night

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Cool pics. :) I can't tell what's what, thgouh. But they're still nice! I took pictures of the lunar eclipse from about, oh, was it March? I forget. They weren't very good... I don't have a tripod so I was trying to get my camera to stay steady when I took the shot and it didn't work very well... But anyway, it was fun! I like the night sky. Ammie doesn't.

Deanna said...

One time in high school my friends and I were having a slumber party on a backyard trampoline. One of my friends claimed she saw a falling star, but no one believed her. But then another friend saw one, and another, then I saw one. Soon we were all seeing shooting stars. The next day we found out there was a meteor shower the night before. That's just plain luck!

rochelle said...

I think you did pretty well... there weren't many shooting stars to be seen. I saw three the whole night, but I was laying down looking at the whole sky. It was pretty, though, unlike all the bug bites I got that night!

Charles said...

I'm glad to see you've finally been dabbling in a little astronomy. Of all space nerds, I only gave this once in every 15 year opportunity a 10 minute try because I had to wake up early the next morning and had a huge paper to write. I did see one really good one just standing out by my house. I downloaded your pictures and still couldn't see anything. Oh well. Have a killer life.

Mustang Suzie said...

I tried to see from my porch but no luck. I'm glad I didn't go with you guys after hearing about the bug bites! I don't think the whole thing was quite what they said it would be. Your photos are very nice though and I did see the one large shooting star.

Utah Dancer said...

What a fun thing to do together! I am sorry about the bug bites tho. It sure was great to see you guys tonight--we love you!! And you are just going to have to carve out a piece of time for us--okay?!

Anonymous said...

That sounds like lots of fun...and I really enjoyed your photos! Thanks for sharing!

Anonymous said...

fun! it's an 'i spy'!