Wednesday, August 08, 2007

Catch Up

We have had a good couple of weeks. About two weeks ago, we attended BJ's work party up in Provo Canyon, went home, went straight to sleep (early in the evening) and got up at 4am to drive to Oregon to see my family. The drive went well; we read the last Harry Potter book and listened to books on CD to keep awake. It was actually pretty enjoyable. We got to Oregon with plenty of time to spare and enjoyed the weekend with my family. Monday morning we got up early and drove out to the Sisters Wilderness (The Sisters are a group of mountains in Oregon) and we put our backpacks on and hiked up to Moraine Lake on the South Sister. We stayed two nights. There were LOTS of mosquitoes and mosquito bites, despite the best efforts of repellents, badges, and other mosquito deterrents. We were all quite sore too. Part of our group hiked to the summit of the mountain (the 3rd highest in the state) on the second day, and on the third day we hiked down the mountain. What nice things showers are! We all couldn't wait to get home and get clean.
During our week in Oregon, we went to see the Body Worlds III exhibit at OMSI. Wow. It was really interesting and amazing. They exhibited bodies preserved in a new way (called plastination)- they won't decay or anything- they become fairly sturdy, while preserving very closely the way things actually look. It sounds a little morbid, but I felt that it was very tastefully and respectfully done. By walking through the exhibit (which took us several hours, much more than the 90 minutes they estimated) it was possible to see and learn about every system of the body. I don't know where it will be exhibited next, but it's worth seeing.
On Saturday night, we helped my siblings throw a country western party/ dance. We used fun decorations and props, set up a chuck wagon, hitchin' post, and dance floor. We set up hay bales in the grass, and had everyone dress up. BJ and I taught a partner circle dance and some line dances, we had a watermelon eating contest, and costume judging. There were some pretty good ones.
Country Dance Party

The next morning BJ and I drove home and finally got in pretty late. We miss everyone, but it is good to be home. Since being home, I have been trying to get things put away and back to normal, and I have also been trying to finish interviews for the research I am working on so that we can start analyzing data soon. (If any of you have aspirations toward being interviewed and having your ideas about public health benefit society, let me know! lol) I will mainly be working on that this week. The idea is that we will have all the data analyzed in a couple of months, and the professor I work for and I will be going to the American Public Health Association conference in Washington D.C. to present our research, and hopefully be published. We know we have been accepted to present at the public health conference, and I have my ticket already, but there is a lot of work to be done before that.
Other than that, there's not a ton going on, but we will sure keep you posted.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Aww, aren't those kind of family/friends dances fun! Love the pictures. Reminds me of family dances at reunions that my family throws. We're all a bunch of hicks on my mom's side LOL. Farming stock, and still have the space for fun stuff like that! :) Although I have to admit... I can do without the watermelon!

Mustang Suzie said...

Sounds like you had a great time! I have seen articles about that exhibit in magazines and would really like to see it. I'll bet it was particularly interesting to you with your field in nursing. Welcome home and see you soon!

Anonymous said...

Sounds like you guys had a great time! I'm glad you were able to spend some time with your family. The dance sounds fun and I love the picture you posted! We look forward to seeing you guys as soon as we can!

Charles said...

That's positively disgusting and outrageous. Not the bodies; the country dancing:)

Anonymous said...

we had that exhibit here, although i didn't go- just too busy to get to it. i have heard mixed reactions to the exhibit, so i'm glad you enjoyed it! but being a nursing student couldn't hurt... :)

the hike must've been a journey- and those journeys have their ups and downs, but in the end, a great feeling of getting through it- bug bites, sore limbs and all!

did you enjoy Harry P? we all did, very much so!

i'm going back now to see what pics we're mentioned... have a great one guys!

Utah Dancer said...

Rochelle,

That is so cool! Good luck on all you are doing. We are so proud of both of you!

Candice and the fam