Sunday, September 24, 2006

A cornucopia of wonderful things

This has got to be one of my favorite words. Hippopotomonstrosesquippedaliophobia. I started to sing it to the tune of Supercalifragilisticexpialidocious. I think the latter is one syllable longer than the former. What does it mean? Well, ironically enough… it means "the fear of long words". I can just imagine some poor soul being told he has Hippopotomonstrosesquippedaliophobia. It would be a nightmare experience for anybody with the phobia. I think it’s hilarious. Well, back to normal life. Rochelle and I have been released from our former calling of Gospel Doctrine teachers. We really enjoyed that calling, and are sad to let it go, but that’s life in student wards. The plus side is that most callings that you don’t enjoy likewise don’t stay around very long. Now we have the calling of institute representatives. What does that mean? We don’t fully know, but likely little more than just going to institute and making announcements in our ward. It’s a calling that I have had before, and it was never my favorite calling, but if the Lord wants us there, there we will be. I have always loved teaching, and so it was sad to say goodbye to that calling. Especially considering that we just bought some chalk and an eraser to have for ourselves so we no longer have to rely on the unreliable ward librarians for that. Oh well. Such is life. I’m sure we will be teachers again some day. However, it is entirely possible that we may never have the opportunity to teach together like we did the past year. That was a singular experience, and one that I thoroughly enjoyed. Rochelle, and I made a great team, even if I do say so myself. Yesterday we went on a bit of a shopping splurge. I went to the grocery store, and saw some "decorative gourds". I brought them home, and Rochelle looked at me and wondered what they were. When I explained that they were for decoration, she decided that she needed to arrange them. She tried to do so with the bowls that we have, but they were wholly insufficient. So we went out and bought ourselves a cornucopia. I’ve always wanted a cornucopia. Yes, I know I’m a bit odd, but I always thought that they were the essence of fall and Thanksgiving time. But we didn’t stop with the cornucopia. We also bought some plastic fruit and veggies to go with the decorative gourds that we already had. And then we bought a pretty candle, candle holder, and potpourri to go with the decorations so that our unsmelly decorations might have a more pleasant smell to go with them. The result is a very decorative center piece for our table that makes the apartment smell nice. We also bought a berry wreath for our front door. I have to say, I love the seasons. I even bought a spaghetti squash yesterday, and cooked it. I think I under cooked it unfortunately, and so it wasn’t quite as good as we had hoped it would be. Rochelle isn’t big on new foods and so she only had a bite or two, but I had a small serving of it and it wasn’t bad. Just a little too crunchy. I’ll probably try it again some day… but I’ll give Rochelle a little time before I try to feed it to her a second time. I also bought a lot of fruits and veggies for our snacking on. It’s amazing all the variety of foods that are available in the fall. I love it. Fall didn’t used to be a favorite season of mine, because it meant that winter was coming on, and that the summer was over. But I think I’m starting to appreciate it a lot more now. All of the foods, all of the colors in the mountains, the crisp air... this is a nice season. It seems that there is a bright side to everything if you are looking for it.

BJ

No comments: