Sunday, January 03, 2010

Christmas

Here are some pictures from Christmas in Oregon, courtesy of my dad. I was bad an took hardly any pictures the whole time we were there. We had a great time with everyone there (with the exception of Tayler who is serving a mission in Australia, but we got to talk to him on the phone for an hour) including Marissa and Richard, due to a weather-induced change of plans.
One of my favorite new traditions for Christmas time is the "gifts of the heart" gift exchange. We do this Christmas night, after all the other festivities of the day. All of the siblings draw names and focus on creating a special gift for the person they chose. There aren't any set rules but the idea is that it is something that you spend time and effort on, rather than money. It is very fun to see what everyone does for each other, and this year was no exception. I know I had tons of fun putting a gift together for Marissa, and I think everyone else had a good time preparing and watching each other open these gifts as well. Incidentally, some of the gifts were hilariously funny while still thoughtful. Please indulge me as I share:
Anna gave BJ a fleece "babysitting vest" complete with extra pockets sewed on and stuffed with matchbox cars, board books, snack containers, toys, and even a pacifier on a velcro-removable ribbon.
Collin gave Tayler a recording of some of his songs on the piano (I'm not completely sure about this, because we were not privileged enough to hear it- it was in the mail I think) and a magic tricks kit that he could carry around with him to do for kids he meets as a sort of ice breaker.
Cara gave Anna a beauty advice book, with tips about fashion and beauty tailored for Anna's age and some of the things she already has. She wrote about matching, accessorizing, and face/hair care to look really put together. We all wanted to read what was in that book!
Tayler sent a package home that we got on Christmas Eve, and we opened while we were on the phone with him. He sent an assortment of gifts to everyone. He also included a beautiful pair of hand carved wooden earrings that were representative of the local style for me as a special gift.
Marissa created a custom scent for Collin, called "Eau de Man" (pronounced You Da Man) and it truly was the epitome of manliness. It was made of sweat, pine needles, gasoline, dirt, etc. It pretty much smelled the way Collin smells after working outside for several hours. Too funny.
Richard made some cool earrings for Cara out of buttons that he found at the store. Some of them he even painted, and of course they were safe for sensitive ears. They were definitely a chic addition to Cara's accessories.
I put together a pamper basket for Marissa full of things I made, including scented rice therapy packs for the neck and eyes, a shower cap, a bath mitt, and a manicure kit cover.
BJ made a calendar for Richard, with each month featuring an edited celebrity or superhero picture of Richard. Click here to see what I mean! It was a hoot.
I don't know if we will always be able to continue this tradition the way we are doing it now as our family grows in number, but it has sure been a fun part of Christmas the past few years that we have done it. I think it definitely fosters the true spirit of Christmas.

2 comments:

Tammy said...

I love the idea of the homemade gifts!!! I definitely want to use that tradition with my kids someday!

Unknown said...

that was so fun, huh? You had me laughing all over again, with the recap of all the gifts. Those were some great ones. What a wonderful christmas we had! :D