Wednesday, November 07, 2007

Washington D.C.

I am finally getting around to posting what I wrote a week ago!
Well, as you know I have been preparing to present some research at the American Public Health Association conference in D.C. I have been here in D.C. since Saturday, and am leaving in just a few hours to return home. This trip has been a fantastic, educational, and interesting opportunity. I arrived Saturday afternoon, and after resolving a minor hotel problem (!) I saw some of the city with Erin, the professor I work for. She showed me how the Metro works here, and we went to a mall/subway station with a hall of restaurants, and we had dinner at a cute 1950's style diner. The next morning we found a church meeting fairly close that we could ride the metro to, and interestingly enough, it was probably the only ward in the whole area that I would have recognized someone in! My parents of my friend and roommate my freshman year were in that ward. So ironic- what a small world. We also attended the opening session for the conference, and heard from a couple of fairly high profile people in public health. I will write more about those later. We went to Arlington National Cemetery, which was an amazing experience. I had no idea how large it was, how many graves and memorials. It was incredibly reverent, and everyone was very respectful. I was really impacted by all the graves, representing lives given in service of our country. I had really never thought of it in terms like that. That same spirit was prevalent at the Tomb of the Unknowns, where I saw the changing of the guard, and was really touched by the guards' dedication and respect for the Tomb. I was thinking that if every person in the U.S. had a chance as a kid or at some point to go see some of the places like this, we would have a stronger sense of national pride and patriotism, and gratitude as a people. Of course I know that won't happen, so I think those things are important to teach in other ways.
On Monday morning, bright and early, we presented one of our research project findings in a round table format. The way a round table presentation works is a room has 9 or 10 tables with presenters, and people come in and rotate around. We gave three 30-minute presentations. Our table was always one of the most crowded! Although we felt strongly about what we were researching, it was somewhat gratifying to hear from listeners that they thought our research was important.
Tuesday we did our poster presentation, talking about the results of the other part of our study. This was in an exhibit hall with people walking around to see the posters they are interested in. Again, we had a lot of interest in and questions about our study. I think it went well. I will post a little later on some of the things I learned at the conference and what our study was about etc.
One of the last things we did before the trip was over was we went to the Visitor's Center at the Washington D.C. Temple. They close early, so we weren't able to go inside, but we saw the outside and had a nice visit with the sister missionaries at the visitor's center. I thought that was a good way to end the trip.
Washington, D.C. pictures

7 comments:

BJ said...

I'm sure glad to have you back home. I sure wish I could have gone with you too! I really enjoyed the pictures! Good work!

Anonymous said...

Very cool! I've never been to the right part of DC... the only time I ever went through it in any way, shape, or form, it was in one of the dodgiest parts of town. So I'm glad your experience was so good, AND of course, that your conference went well. I like conferences. They're fun. Though I haven't participated in one in a while.

Cindymom said...

Oh Rochelle, I am so happy to see your pictures and read about your trip! What a wonderful experience for you--for your life! I would love to visit Washington DC with you next time you go--but seeing the pictures does swell up my heart with a feeling of patriotism and love for this great country. Thank you.
Mom

Mustang Suzie said...

So glad you got to do this, Rochelle! And it was fun to be a part of your project :-D. Ron and I love Washington, DC, as you know. It is an amazing place and I would love to spend more time there. Glad everything went well for you and that the "jitters" went away.
Suzanne

Anonymous said...

i've been to DC twice and both times the experiences were unforgettable.
The entire setting is one that feels sacred- even if so many of the people there are corrupted.
it appears that God's intervention and the lives of those that have gone before us still have the 'floor'.
i'm interested in hearing more about your study Rochelle!

Utah Dancer said...

I too am so glad you were able to do this! What a great experience for you! You took wonderful photos and sounds like you did a great job with your presentation! Just so proud of you--you go girl!

Anonymous said...

What a neat experience for you! I'm so glad that the presentation was a success. I know how hard you worked on it, it must feel good to see your hard work pay off! Glad you are home safe and that you had a great trip!