Saturday, October 27, 2007

Happy Halloween!

So Rochelle and I are in the activities committee in our ward, and we were responsible for mainly two things in our ward Halloween party: photos, and music. Both of which had us pretty well occupied. We set up a photo booth where people could come and take pictures with their Halloween costumes on. And when they didn't come to us, we went around the room and took candids. The music went alright. We wanted to use the speakers that were built into the room, but the only way to put input into them was using a big hookup that is typically used by old microphones. Well... I didn't have one of those. So we couldn't hook it up. So I went to Radioshack to see if they had one. Nope. By this time, it was about 20 minutes until the party started and I didn't have anything ready. So I went home and got the surround sound system that mom and dad gave us when they got their new system. That stuff is heavy and it meant a lot of trips back and forth between my apartment and the car, and then from the car to the church. And then setting all those wires up takes time, and by the time the sound system was playing its first notes, people were asking for their photo to be taken. Rochelle in the mean time had been setting up the backdrop for the photo. Thank goodness for her. Otherwise the photos would have been with a plain brown church wall in the background. So I started taking photos. And I enjoyed it. But the lighting wasn't great. So I got out my brand new super-duper flash, and attached it... and the pictures turned out worse. Dang! I haven't had a lot of practice with my flash, so I wasn't sure what I was doing wrong. I didn't have the luxury of messing with it too much because every photo I messed up, was a photo somebody wouldn't get. So I took it off, and used my camera's built in flash, and made sure to keep the subjects close enough to allow it to work. Well... after the line died down enough for me to mess with it... I discovered that the batteries were dead in the flash. It was flashing, just not very brightly. But once I got those new batteries in there... wow. It got bright. And what's better is that it could shoot clear across the room as long as I didn't have anything in the foreground. I didn't get to mess with the settings too much, but I discovered a couple of ways to alter the brightness of the flash while still in "auto" or "semi-auto" mode. But all and all I learned a good deal about my new toy, and didn't mess up more than a handful of photos, and those I took again later. It was fun. And you all can see the photos here:

http://picasaweb.google.com/taylors2004/wardhalloweenparty

Now, I have to say that not all of these photo's are mine. About half of the candid photos are photos Rochelle took with a little point and shoot. She was worried that her photos wouldn't turn out very well... but honestly, I think she does great. She doesn't care too much for the nitty gritty details of photography, but she enjoys it all the same. And she is getting quite good at it too. When we take portraits of people, she is an indispensable part of the process. She fixes the hair, gives me angle ideas, and suggestions on just about everything. And the photos always turn out much better when she is around. :-D

Happy Halloween all!

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Very fun! I love that there's this cowboy side coming out that I never got acquainted with at Nelson. It always makes me chuckle. Long live Oregonians! They do great things and are good sorts of people to have around. :) OH, Rochelle, I know you don't know me, but did you know that there are some places in that great state which now sell shares in cows? As in, you buy a share in a cow. And I'm not being facetious when I call it a great state, I like it! Half my family, the American half, is from there.

Anonymous said...

PS. I have a library now. But I'm absolutely RUBBISH at adding links to my blog (not to my posts, to my blog). So who knows how I'm going to actually allow you all to access my list... haha. I may be savvy in some ways, but for the most part, I'm still living the the 10th century...

Utah Dancer said...

There are really cute photos in there! Good job!

Tammy said...

Fun Pictures! cute outfit!

Mustang Suzie said...

Glad your party turned out so well. I thought the pictures were great also. Your ward is lucky to have you two as you are very dedicated! I love this picture of you and Rochelle also. Sorry you had to work so hard regarding the music. See you when we get back. Love, Mom

Anonymous said...

What a creative ward you have. There were some great costumes! I love the picture of you and Rochelle. Very cute! Great job on what looked like a great party!

Anonymous said...

what a fun time and photo!