Thursday, October 19, 2006

Sickies

BJ and I have been sick! I felt like I was coming down with the flu earlier this week, and then it turned into a bad cold. BJ has been taking care of me... now I'm mostly better, and he is feeling more down, so it's my turn to take care of him now, I guess! That's ok- he takes such good care of me- he would make a good nurse! - as long as no blood is involved!
Today I worked in IV therapy. That is where people come to get IV hydration, blood transfusions, immunoglobulins, antibiotic therapy, and other treatments on an outpatient basis, and also the nurses are specially trained to do IV services on patients who are in the hospital. Those might include inserting PICC lines (which I actually got to help with today!!! -not the actual insertion, but as the "float") or doing "therapeutic phlebotomy". I would explain these things more, but I know that some of you don't want to know! So, just ask me when you see me, and I will tell you more about it! (A note to Suzanne: I have an answer to your question about units of blood. Remind me to tell you about it!!)
Another exciting thing has happened- we got a breadmaker! Danielle and Kirk (BJ's sister and her husband) have graciously allowed us to use theirs since they dont use it. We couldn't be more thrilled... it has been something that we have wanted for a long time, and now we can easily have fresh bread!
Something else this week was my mom's birthday. I got to talk to her on the phone, but I was sad I couldn't see her and give her a hug! My sister Marissa and I decided to actually make her a present together this year (in memory of our younger years, I guess) so we spent a couple of afternoons together working on it. It took longer to make than we thought. Hopefully it has arrived by now.
Now I have to go get ready for our dinner with BJ's parents and Bobbie and Gary (aunt and uncle). Should be fun!

No comments: