Thursday, July 07, 2011

Happy 3rd Birthday Gabriel!


Dear Gabriel,

It has been a long time since I could say you were a baby, and the other day I realized I can't even call you a toddler anymore.  You are a big boy; a bona fide preschooler now.  Have I really been your mother for three years?  It has truly been a privilege.  You have such a sweet temperament; you genuinely care about what the people around you are feeling.  When someone is hurt, it warms my heart to see you put your hand on their shoulder and say "You-a-ok? You have-a-owie? I-a-kiss-it better."

You are helping me learn, Gabe.  Sometimes you get sent to time out after being told that you can come back when you can be happy, or obedient, or nice or whatever the issue.  Sometimes after a minute or two I open the door and ask if you are ready to obey, and through your tears you say no.  After a while we realized that we needed a slightly different approach.  Now when I open the door and I ask if you need a hug, you almost always run to me immediately for some love, and then when we talk about obedience you are very cooperative.  I am glad you could help me learn that love needs to be first and foremost in any discipline.

You are becoming more opinionated and independent.  You love to pedal your tricycle without too much help, and you are quick to let me know you'd rather walk than ride in the stroller.  Sticks, rocks, and bugs are fascinating subjects, and nothing can distract you when you want to go exploring in the dirt.  Most days you don't care too much about what you wear, but some days, like yesterday, you were insistent that you wanted to wear your orange puffer vest, even though it is 90 degrees outside, and only the tie-dyed shirt from your aunt Rhonda was tempting enough to wear instead. 

You are just becoming such a big boy with a big personality.  Sometimes I miss the times when you were so little, but only a little, because watching your grow and develop is so much fun.  I love how well you can communicate and I love all the quirky little phrases that come out of your mouth ("Mom!  I want to sing Old McFarmer had a Farm, ok?").  You run off to your class at nursery and at daycare one morning a week usually with no trouble at all, and you are happy to see all your friends and teachers.  Sometimes it pains me to think of how your parents are already diminishing in your eyes- I mean, when you were a baby, we were all you knew, and now there are lots of people way more fun and exciting than us!  But I know you, you always come back for hugs and kisses and love from your mommy and daddy, and I think (and hope) that is how it will always be.

One thing I love about your three year old self is how keenly you feel things.  You play hard, you are delighted and even ecstatic when you love something, and you cry tears that seem like they are coming from a broken heart over things that make you sad.  You love music, and singing and dancing are great pastimes.  You love your trains, cars, balls, airplanes, playing outside, and water in the bathtub (as long as I'm not trying to wash you).  You are a great eater.  Although there are a few things you don't like too much (spinach), you will eat just about everything else.  I am happy that you love fruits and veggies (including broccoli- cooked or raw).  You love your cousins and your aunts and uncles, and your grandparents- dearly.

I am glad that I get to watch you live life the fullest that you know how.  I treasure the things I am learning from raising you.  I am glad that I could become your mommy three years ago.  You are so precious to me, I will keep trying to be the best mother I can be for you.

2 comments:

Mustang Suzie said...

Rochelle, this is just beautiful and so well written. What a wonderful little boy Gabe is and what a great life he has! I love how easy going he is and how curious he is about everything. You and BJ have given him an amazing three years. The hardest thing about parenthood is watching them grow and in so many ways--grow away. But we really wouldn't want it any other way. Enjoyed this so much! Thank you!

Ashley said...

What a beautiful letter. You are such a wonderful mommy! We're in Utah for the summer (up by AF). It would be so fun if Kimball and Gabe could meet each other and play. I know you have a busy life, but let me know if you ever want to get together. It would be great to see you.