Sunday, June 03, 2007

4 down, 2 to go

So hello again friends family and all,
Well 4 down 2 to go. I'm 2/3s the way home. This week has been alright. Again nothing too exciting has happened, but all the same it hasn't been bad. On Saturday, Sri, the owner of Ecotech Outsourcing, the company we go through to hire our employees down here, took me to see a Jain temple here not too far away. The temple itself wasn't anything too spectacular. It was fun to go to, but nothing like some of the temples I know India has in the South. But all the same, it was an experience. We got to the temple and were about to go in when I was told that I would have to leave my camera behind. From the entrance I really couldn't see much. However the guard was kind enough to point a way around back where we go to see a little temple and be close enough to take pictures without disturbing anybody. So I got a few pictures of that. But the little temple was not much like the rest, but interesting all the same. So Jainism, it seems, is quite similar to Buddhaism but much stricter. Those who live it have a very limited diet. They do not eat meat (which isn't that uncommon around here) but they likewise do not eat anything that grows underground (carrots, potatoes, etc.) The foods they eat are limited to the fruits and vegetables that can be eaten without killing the plant. They literally do not believe in killing anything. They also feel (like many other religions do) that simplicity is the best way to live. That riches and wealth are corrupting agents and should be given away. However, while some live in such a fashion, they are the monks of the religion, though I don't know whether or not monks is the right name for them. The rest of the Jains seem to live fairly normal lives, with the exception of their diet, I believe. Some of the more religious people will wear a robe with nothing else on to display their simplicity of life (the men in particularly). They seem to be very friendly people, though I believe they felt a bit odd having a foreigner come and take pictures of them, and their temple. I believe Jain himself was at one point a wealthy prince or king who, after looking at the poor of his country, gave up all he had, and looked for a new way of life (not unlike the story of Buddha). And while he sat under a tree, he received inspiration on how he should live. And thus started a new religion.

The people here in India are a very peaceful people. Their culture, their beliefs all center around not hurting one another or even the animals and plants that surround them. India is a country that has been conquered over and over again (not unlike Korea) because they are a country that does not study war, and weapons, although they have been highly influential in world thought and beliefs. I understand that much of the culture of thought that Plato and Aristotle studied from came originally from India, and those philosophers have effected our thought much as well. The religions of India do seem to be idol worshiping religions for sure, but I do not believe that they would fall under the same condemnation that the idol worshiping religions of the old testament did. The idol worshiping religions of the old testament were condemned partially because of the sin and corruption that came with those idols. Their groves and high places were centers for sin, and excuses to commit sin, and they did it in the name of their fake god. But things are different here. While they do not seem to have all the same commandments that we have, in many ways they live more strict lives than we do. Dave (my boss) speculates that there is a lot of “playing around” outside of marriage here, but that is his opinion, and while I would agree that it likely does happen, I don't believe it happens here more than it happens in the US, in fact, I'd dare say it happens far less. The culture in the US is obsessed with sex and violence. It is uncommon to find a TV show that doesn't elude to sex or depict a violent scene. We have much we could learn from India. Unfortunately, it seems that we are influencing India more than they are us. Traditional shops that frequently have religious figurines and paintings in one corner are being replaced with malls that have great big pictures of women with little on. Materialism is slowly replacing living a life of simplicity. When I first got here I spoke of how my just being here is helping them rise out of poverty. And while that is still true, I guess I'm realizing that what we are doing isn't all good either.

We went to a mall yesterday so Dave and Amanda could buy some things for their house keeper and her daughter as a favor. I watched as all of this progressed, Reja (I'm not sure if that is how it is spelled or not) tied her scarf around her face while she was in the car. She said she couldn't stand the smells. The smell of the AC, the smell of the tar on the road, the smell of the exhaust... things that we hardly think about unless they are particularly bad she could hardly stand. When we got to the mall Reja looked lost. I think that was her first trip to a mall, but I'm not certain. She was taken to the children's clothing area and she looked around and she simply didn't know what to do. Amanda started pulling things out, and helped her choose an outfit for her daughter Wonshu. They also took her into the women's clothing area and picked her an outfit out too. I wonder what she thought of all the images that were around her. It was pretty much the same as what you would see in a mall in the US, lingerie, bright lights, models with plastic faces; she must have been somewhat overwhelmed with what she saw. I think Dave and Amanda were well intentioned and all, but I think after watching all of this that next time I'd take her to the places that she shops and not to the places they shop. She was certainly grateful for all the stuff she and her daughter was given, but I think she felt quite uneasy the entire night.

More pics

6 comments:

Mustang Suzie said...

Interesting observations. It is sad to see old beautiful societies be corrupted. I wonder what will happen in the future there. I can see why some countries just do not want the outside influences. Glad you and Rochelle are just about done. It will be nice to have you home again. I enjoyed your photos very much!
Love, Mom

Anonymous said...

Interesting how trees and mountains often seem to have things to do with the creations or beginnings of new religions... And how so many of them emphasise the simple life as the way to be happy. Sounds kinda familiar, doesn't it. Although I guess the definition of simple changes from situation to situation! Cool that you're getting to see so much. Had Korma yet?

Anonymous said...

Beautiful photos, even if you didn't get shots of everything you wanted to. It's so interesting to read all about your observations there. You do sound a bit homesick though. Hang in there, two weeks to go! Love ya!

rochelle said...

Great photos, and neat experience. I think it is important to learn about other cultures and religions. I think (for me at least) seeing people in other countries and other situations helps us understand those in our own countries, which some people may not think is important, but it is very valuable.

Utah Dancer said...

I really respect that way of life. It reminds me to not take things for granted and to be more respectful of all life. Anyway, can't wait to see all the photos!

Anonymous said...

hey bj... it's fun to see the pictures- thanks for posting them but it's even more interesting to read about a culture from an outsider looking in!
2/3? time flies...
love you!